Structural engineers

I am trying to locate a structural engineer who can verify or calculate the joists and beams for the first floor in your house so am trying to get an idea of what people do and don’t do in this field.

I have just sent an email to


I am contacting you as I have seen some articles written by Eric Karsh.

We live in France and are self-building a house here. The walls will be constructed using the Greb Technique (Technique du Greb).
We have just about finished the floor plan. It’s a 7m x 9m house (internal dimensions), with two floors, and we intend to use a raised gable prefabricated fink truss roof (in which we intend to put it about 12 inches of cellulose fibre insulation).

Because we’re on a very tight budget (we plan to build our home in under 50,000 euros), we have opted for this simple as possible design.

The reason why I am contacting you is that I am not a structural engineer. I don’t know what joists and beams I will require within the house to support the second floor (on which there is a bathroom and 3 bedrooms, each of approximately 3.5m x 3.5m).

I’m not sure exactly what you do, but I believe you are structural engineers with an emphasis on wood structures, I am wondering how much it would cost for you to take a look at our plans and advise us a little bit. From looking at your website I believe this would be known as a very small project indeed. It would obviously help if you are aware of the Greb Technique.
I won’t write any more here and await your reply.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you